Book Review: ANGUS, THONGS, AND FULL-FRONTAL SNOGGING
*Note: this blog was created for a class at TWU

1. BIBLIOGRAPHY:
Rennison, Louise. 1999. ANGUS, THONGS, AND FULL-FRONTAL SNOGGING. New York, NY: HarperCollins Publishing.

2. PLOT SUMMARY:
Georgia Nicholson just wants three simple things: to be left alone by her parents, Uncle Eddie, and three-year-old sister, to hang out with her friends, and to have a boyfriend. In ANGUS, THONGS, AND FULL-FRONTAL SNOGGING, Georgia's diary entries reveal that she gets at least two of her wishes, along with always funny, sometimes sad ups and downs of being a teenager.

3. CRITICAL ANALYSIS:
As a self-proclaimed non-chicklit reader, I was ready to hate this book, but the funny title, and the Britishness of it drew me in since I spent three of my own early teen years living "on the economy" in the small British town of Bury. And I wasn't disappointed. ANGUS, THONGS, AND FULL-FRONTAL SNOGGING is laugh-out-loud, tears streaming from your eyes funny.

Written in diary form, Georgia's voice immediately shines through. She laments that her Uncle Eddie ("bald as a coot") treats her like a child and wishes she could scream at him, "I am bursting with womanhood, I wear a bra! OK, it's a bit on the loose side and does ride up round my neck if I run for the bus..." And that's just the first entry. Alternating between scathingly funny observations about the world, "Someone farted in assembly this morning...Whoever it was, it was really loud and during the silence we were having to think about all the poor people. And it wasn't just a quick one, it was a knee-trembler," and self-deprecating commentary on herself, "In my room in front of the mirror. Practicing smiling without making my nose spread. It's impossible. I must never smile again."

Yet sprinkled among the silly, funny, episodes of home, school, friends, and growing up, are some honest lessons about self-acceptance and not trying to grow up too fast. Georgia is the friend we all had who could make us laugh when things got tough, who always had the fun, crazy ideas, and didn't let what others thought stop her from being herself. I'd recommend ANGUS, THONGS, AND FULL-FRONTAL SNOGGING to any teen girl, although the author's constant use of slang and dry wit might cause some reluctant readers to struggle (although there is a "dictionary" in the back). And if the books aren't enough, her website has "fabbity-fab" extras such as the snogging scale and dance moves! http://www.georgianicolson.com/index.html

Louise Rennison captures voice of a teen much like Meg Cabot does, but with even more wicked humor, and less fantasy elements (princesses, saving The President, mediating with the dead), so I would definitely put it in the read-alike list with THE PRINCESS DIARIES, a cute little series by Nancy Krulik called HOW I SURVIVED MIDDLE SCHOOL, and SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELING PANTS by Ann Brashares.

4. REVIEW EXCERPT(S):
School Library Journal: "It will take a sophisticated reader to enjoy the wit and wisdom of this charming British import, but those who relish humor will be satisfied. Fresh, lively, and engaging."

The Guardian: "You know when you really should stop laughing and everyone is looking at you? This was me reading the manuscript on the train. This is a brilliant book! ... I can't recommend it highly enough."

5. CONNECTIONS
* I don't know if there are any curricular connections with this book, since it's just plain fun, but I did think it might be neat to do a display of books that include lists as a story element. ANGUS, THONGS has "Six Things That Are Very Wrong With My Life," ALL-AMERICAN GIRL has "Top Ten Reasons I Wish I Were Gwen Stefani" among others, K.L. Going's book THE LIBERATION OF GABRIEL KING has his list of greatest fears (with humor), and HOW I SURVIVED MIDDLE SCHOOL has multiple lists such as "How I Know My Best Friend Is Really My BFF." I could then have a competition where students could submit their own funny lists. It could be done at the end of the school year, and the lists could be "Top Ten Ways to Survive Middle School/Seventh Grade/Algebra." Or maybe the ELA teachers could use that as a journal entry and springboard into listing as a drafting technique or story element. Lists are fun!

No comments: